Friday, May 14, 2010

How does your environment effect your choices?

I just arrived in Northern California. I am visiting my family and also continuing my book tour. Today I am teaching a class at Google and then San Francisco Equinox at 5:30. If you want a free pass send an email to rsvp@intensati.com.
How does your environment influence you? When I was growing up our home was filled with all the junk food you could imagine. Every morning we had fresh donuts, my dads favorites. We made our own lunches which usually consisted of potato chips and ding-dongs and dinner was always a great meal but rarely did we see a salad or vegetable that wasn't fried. I think it was one of the reasons I was so eager to move out in my early 20's. It was just simply too hard to make healthy choices when surrounded by all that food.
As I moved into my own space it became easier when I finally learned that one very important things was simply not to have in the house, those things I didn't want to eat. I often wanted to think that I could have a box of cookies in the cupboard and have just one once in a while.
Coming home often reminds me of those days. I have 10 brothers and sisters and when I come to visit I stay with my sister Norma who keeps her home full of great healthy food. lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and all the things I love. It's makes it so easy to eat well. She is now raising her son in a very different way then I was raised and I can see how he won't have those same challenges with food I did. What a blessing. Does your environment support you or challenge you? If you live in a home with others and you don't have full control of the environment then I suggest you keep stocking it with great things you love and that help you make great choices. Maybe you will influence those around you.
If you travel home or to places where you know it might trigger you or be challenging and you want to stick to your healthy choices plan ahead. Instead of being influenced try influencing your environment and inspiring others and being a leader in a crowd. Not only will this empower you but just might inspire someone else.
Have a great day. Choose wisely and with love, Patricia