Friday, April 30, 2010

Challenge day 12 There is always hope. You can change. 4/30/10

I was looking for something in my closet today and found an old journal from 1992. I opened it up to a page where I was writing about how fed up I was with being miserable and depressed and worried that I would never gain control over my bingeing and purging cycles. It felt like lifetimes ago yet in a weird way just like yesterday. It felt like an impossible dream to be living one day without that feeling of being totally out of control, afraid and ashamed. Today I took a moment to celebrate that I am free now. I also spoke to two people today who continue to struggle and continue to feel as if there is simply no hope of getting to the other side. I know that pain so well that when I see others going through the same thing I remember how dark that place feels. There is always hope, you can always change. It takes a knowing that it is possible. If one person can do it, it is possible. One of the reasons I wrote the seven secret principles to thinner peace was to give hope to anyone who has this feeling of living out of control, a practice to help change, believe and succeed. These changes don't happen simply by going on a diet but by committing to making life long changes. Taking on practices like the 30 day challenge also provides you with a way to build that muscle of making conscious choices. I think that when we shift from the "dieting" mentality and look at making long term positive food choices we can create that bridge that will be the access to freedom and peace of mind. I also think that when we eliminate junk food, processed food and large of amounts of sugar in our diet we no longer have to fight the cravings because the cravings disappear and when you are a person who is addicted to using food, this is critical. Just like the worst place for an alcoholic to hang out is in a bar for those who struggle to gain control over their eating habits the worst thing is to keep eating foods that trigger those feelings of shame, guilt or regret and propel them into uncontrolled eating or binges. The intenSati method is the practice of living mindfully and waking up to the power within you to change, to make long lasting change. It is possible, there is hope and I believe anyone can get to the other side with love, commitment and a practice, like intenSati that is a technique for transforming from the inside out. So whether you are someone who simply wants to lose a few pounds, struggling with an eating disorder or wants to make healthier choices, remember it is a practice and just like anything the more you practice it the easier it becomes. Keep your eye on the vision of who you choose to be and never, ever ever give up. If you do struggle with an eating disorder I suggest you reach out for help. There are support groups like overeater anonymous, grey sheet which is also a 12 step program or reach out to a therapist that specializes in eating disorders. helped me Dr. Judith Brisman was who I reached out to in 1993 who helped me recover from my darkest time. I also talk about her in my book. She is the founder of the eating disorder resource center. Eating Disorder Resource Center 330 W. 58th St. Suite 206 New York, NY 10019 Tel: 212-582-2217 Today celebrate what breakthroughs you have had and remember you can change, it is possible you can live a life you love in a body you love. Just make one small positive change a day and keep your eye on what you want instead of where you are. Love, Patricia Join me May 7th at the TSalon for more on this topic. 6:30-8:30 in NYC chelsea market. www.shop.satilife.com to rsvp