Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 3 No Sugar! Challenging today. Is being busy a good excuse?

My day started as usual today.  I woke up at 6:30, did my meditation, ate breakfast and went to the gym. I did my workout then taught 2 classes and I was done by 11:30. But unlike my usual Friday I had two interviews back to back in two different locations set up. One at 12:00 then one at 1:00.  I was late for the first one because I got lost. Yes I have been living here for over 15 years.  I was already 15 minutes late for my next interview but I was so hungry I popped into the gym and grabbed some egg whites, not enough food but something to hold me over. 

I got to my 1:00 appointment at 1:30 and we filmed the interview, (very fun by the way details to come) until about 3:00.  Now I was late for my 3:00 appointment.  I was so hungry I had to pop into the deli to see what I could find to eat.  It was very challenging.  Of course the only things I could see were the sugary things, fruits, cookies, candies, and other things I don't eat.  Finally I grabbed a protein bar.  The good news was that sugar was the 7th ingredient. My commitment was not to eat anything that had sugar listed as one of the first 5 ingredients.

I did learn a couple of things and I know that although sugar was the 7th ingredient, there were better choices I could have made.

What I learned.

1. Be prepared. Being busy is my life most of the time and using the excuse that I was too busy is just that, an excuse and not a very good one.  If I would have been prepared I could have had food in my bag and eaten it in instead.

2. Don't go into a deli looking for food when I am on a NO sugar detox.  It there was a salad bar where I could have made a quick salad, some protein or even an avocado or hard boiled eggs that would have been better. Stay out of stores that mostly sell junk food!

I really did keep my promise as I listed that I wouldn't eat anything that had sugar listed as one of the first 5 ingredients but I stopped eating protein bars a long time ago because really I think they are a glorified candy bar with a lot of calories and a lot of ingredients I can't pronounce or understand.  

So "technically" I stuck to my commitment but really plan to make a better choice next time.  i saw how easily today I could allow myself to come up with an "excuse" to not keep my commitment.  

What I am noticing is this is harder than I thought it would be.  I really didn't realize I was eating as much sugar as I was. I wasn't gobbling down cookies and candy bars but all the little things throughout the day added up.

I hope you are paying attention to how much sugar is sneaking into your diet and that this is helping you pay more attention to what you are putting into your body and will help you catch your excuses when you hear them as well.

Share your story, I would love to hear.
Patricia